The church of San Martino is one of the oldest churches in Siena, mentioned as early as the eighth century and then, regularly, from the mid-twelfth century when it passed into possession of the canonical Lucchesi of San Frediano (1168) who remained there until 130. Later our church was granted in commendam with the title of a priory. Given its crumbling conditions in 1463 it began to restore it but without great enthusiasm and in 1469 the General Council of the Republic urged the resumption of work. The last Commendatore of San Martino granted it in 1532 to the Eremitani of Sant'Agostino who tried to improve the conditions by asking for help from the city Magistrates, until in 1539 (project by Giovan Battista Pelori) the works finally took off and ended in 1571.
On this date the church assumed the aspect we see today. However, the facade had to wait until 1613 (by Giovanni Fontana) to be completed. Later, thanks to the munificence of the noble De 'Vecchi family, the high altar, the balustrades and the external staircase with the churchyard were redone. With the rise of the bell tower to its current height in 1738, our church assumed its definitive physiognomy. With the suppression of the early '800 San Martino lost its centuries-old bond with the Augustinians to go under the direct control of the Sienese Archdiocese.